Picture it - it's lunchtime, and you're absolutely ravenous. You're at your desk, and you're about to go hangry loco on your colleague who just walked by with a mouth-watering lunch. You have four options:
A) Skip lunch, and opt for more coffee (and proceed to gorge yourself at dinner)
B) Eat the protein bar in your desk (or even worse, a chocolate bar)
C) Buy lunch out ... again (with high probability that the meal is of the fast-food variety)
D) Plan ahead the night before and prepare a healthy lunch to bring
Let me tell you, I used to pick choices A), B), and C) All. The. Time. During graduate school, my lunches consisted of coffee (sugar-laden vanilla lattés to be exact), maple scones, Clif Bars, and the occasional salad. At the time, I was training for long-distance Triathlons, so I always wanted my hands on something that was fast (as I likely had a workout coming up and didn't want to be too full), and was an energy pick-me-up (hello sugar and caffeine).
I knew nothing about how to properly fuel my body back then. No wonder I was always exhausted and my health eventually crashed. Thankfully, I have evolved and learned a lot since then, but that doesn't mean that it is always easy. My life is still incredibly busy, and I constantly have to remind myself to make healthy food choices rather than taking the fast, convenient route.
Now you have no excuse - this bomb lunch literally took me 5 minutes to prepare, and can be made the night before. It is filled with protein, good fats, and veggies that will keep you satiated and energized until dinner (heck, you can even make these for dinner).
Avocado Chicken Salad Dreamboats
Prep time: 5 min
- 1 cup shredded organic roast chicken
(No time to roast a chicken? Pick up a
pre-roasted one from Whole Foods)
- 1/2 mashed avocado, or
1/3 cup guacamole
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt + pepper to taste
(omit pepper if AIP)
- 1-2 outer layers of purple cabbage
- In a bowl, mix up the shredded chicken with avocado or guacamole (I like the pre-made guac from Whole Foods or Wholly Guacamole from Costco. No guac or AIP? Just keep it simple with mashed avocado.
- Wash and dice one rib of celery, and mix in with the lemon and lime juice (gives it a citrus zing and prevents the avocado from browning), salt and pepper.
- Wash and peel 1-2 layers off of a head of purple cabbage. Scoop chicken/avo mixture into it.
- Serve with a side of your favorite veggies - cucumber slices are a great option. I also rounded it out with a probiotic punch of gut-healthy sauerkraut (I love the Farmhouse Culture Horseradish and Leek flavor).
So there you have it, lunch in 5 minutes and can be made the night before! If you roast a chicken and have some leftovers, this is your go-to recipe. Spice it up with your favorite hot sauce or green chiles.
Hit me up in the comments and let me know what you think ❤.