There's a lot of buzz in the wellness world about Superfoods - nutrient-rich foods considered to be especially beneficial for health. Think green leafy vegetables, acai, goji berries, coconut oil, turmeric, chia seeds, maca ... I've seen just about all fruits and vegetables listed as superfoods at this point.
In my mind, what makes superfoods "super" is that they are whole, unprocessed foods that are rich in nutrients and minerals. LOTS of foods fit that category.
One food that most people DON'T think of is ... LIVER.
BLECH, you say! Yep, I know ... I used to feel the same way. But hear me out.
Liver is one of the highest sources of B vitamins (B12, B6, biotin, and folate), Iron, and Vitamin A, and is an excellent source of phosphorus and magnesium. The B vitamins are essential for supporting your body's detoxification pathways, whereas the Vitamin A and Iron are needed to overcome anemia. If you struggle with low energy, fatigue, or neurological issues, liver is a great addition to your diet. This is ALSO a great source of nutrients if you are on an elimination diet such as Whole30 or the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP).
I personally prefer the taste of chicken liver over beef liver (it tastes less metallic to me). Some of my favorite ways to prepare chicken livers is with coconut oil and garam masala spice (YUMMMM), hidden in meatloaf (The Paleo Mom has a 💣 recipe) ... or in pâté form.
Pâté 😍 .
I didn't enjoy pâté until I was in my mid-to-late 20s, when I started to appreciate French cooking. But now ... ohhhhhh baby, it's one of my favorites. Especially when bacon is involved. So now that it's Fall, there's no better time than now to share my favorite pâté recipe.
NOTE: When you buy liver, be sure to get it from organic, grass-fed, free-range, pasture-raised animals.
Bacon-Chicken Liver Pâté
Prep time: 25-30min
- 1 lb organic, uncured bacon
- 2 lb organic chicken livers
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp tarragon
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Roughly chop bacon and place into a stock pot. Cook until bacon browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Cook onion in bacon fat until translucent. Add herbs and salt; cook on medium for ~2min.
- Add in chicken livers, and cook for ~8 min (stirring occasionally), or until liver is completely browned and cooked. Let mixture cool before transferring into the food processor.
- Add liver/onion/herb mixture and bacon into a food processor. Process until completely smooth.
- Transfer into a glass storage container; store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Serve with vegetables (my preference), gluten-free crackers, or GF bread.