Has it really been a month since I last posted? Time flies when ... you're crazy busy! 😂 Looking forward to getting back to my usual recipe-posting schedule, and more than happy to take requests as to what you want to see on the blog (hit me up in the comments!) 👇👇👇
This week I'm sharing another riff on Nice Cream, because well, let's just say I'm obsessed. I may have already made 1 (or 5) batches of my Almond Chip Nice Cream 🙈 🙊 🙉 .
But with the arrival of Summer, I decided to take advantage of the bountiful harvest of berries - blueberries AND mulberries!
Believe it or not, I had never had a mulberry before (SO good!), and so I decided to look up its health benefits (as a Nutrition Coach is wont to do).
why mulberries rock:
1) They're an Antioxidant Powerhouse: - They are an excellent source of anthocyanins (anti-inflammatory properties) and resveratrol (anti-aging). Mulberries have been used to improve blood circulation, and resveratrol may lower blood pressure and reduce heart disease risk.
2) Lots of Fiber - A single serving of mulberries contains nearly 20 percent of your recommended fiber intake (!!!) - both soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber helps control blood sugar and reduce harmful cholesterol levels, while insoluble fiber is essential for digestion.
3) Loaded with Vitamin C: Mulberries contain 190% of the daily recommended value for Vitamin C compared to Oranges. Vitamin C is important for supporting the immune system, repairing tissue, protecting vision, and serving as an antioxidant.
4) Rich in Protein, Iron & Calcium - For a fruit, mulberries are an unusually high source of protein (4g/serving). They also contain 30% of the daily value for iron, and 10% of the daily value for calcium. Iron fights fatigue and keeps you feeling energized as it works to carry oxygen-rich blood cells throughout the body. Calcium is the foundation for strong bones and teeth, and an adequate intake of calcium can help prevent the risk of developing osteoporosis.
So basically, slather this nice cream on errrrrythang!! I kid ... maybe 😉 . Seriously though, this is the perfect Summer treat, and it is packed with nutritious value, including healthy fats from coconut milk and NO refined sugar. WIN!
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
Almond Chip Nice Cream
Prep time: 10 min
- 5 frozen bananas, peeled & sliced
- 1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 pint (6oz) fresh, organic Mulberries
- 1 pint (12oz) fresh, organic Blueberries
(You can use frozen as well)
- Add frozen banana slices and the entire can of full-fat coconut milk to your food processor. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Add berries and process until creamy.
- Enjoy right away: serve with fresh berries, chocolate shavings, or coconut whip cream!
- Or pour mixture into a bread loaf pan and freeze. Before serving, allow pan to thaw in the fridge (at least 1-2hr), as the nice cream will be very hard.