You may think that I have a long laundry list of fancy recipes that I want to test and share with you (I wish!). But the reality is, I'm just like you and lead a very busy life. While I would love to be le gourmet all the time, most of my cooking adventures involve making "Paleo Slop".
Paleo Slop is code word for 1-pot cooking: 1) melt coconut oil, 2) stir fry veggies, 3) add organic ground meat (beef or turkey), 4) serve over salad greens. It may look like dog food, but it's freakin' delicious.
However, it will not likely see the light of day on this blog 😂 .
In other words, I like to keep it simple, and make use of the ingredients I have at my house. I call it realistic innovation.
And that is exactly how "Everything But The Kitchen Sink Soup" was born.
Recently, I made my own chicken bone broth from chicken bones, but didn't have any chicken left to make a chicken soup with (whoops, I ate it all). So what to do? I took inventory of my vegetables, saw that I had organic ground beef thawed, and thought, "chicken broth with ground beef? Why not."
The best part of this soup is that you can add more of your favorite vegetables, swap out the ground beef for roasted chicken, or if you're not into the Paleo thing, add white or brown rice. As we like to say at barre3, "make it your own".
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup
(Paleo, Gluten-free, AIP)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 4-6 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1.5 lb organic ground beef
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste (omit if AIP)
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
(homemade or organic store-bought, like Pacific Naturals)
- Melt coconut oil in a stir-fry pan, and cook diced red onion until translucent.
- Add thyme, tarragon, sage, and ground beef; cook until the beef is fully browned. Once complete, turn the heat off.
- While the beef is browning, begin to heat the chicken bone broth in a stock pot. Add sea salt to the broth, and stir to mix*.
- Wash and peel the carrots and butternut squash. Cut the carrots into round, and cube the squash (approx. 1/2" cubes). Once the broth is boiling, add the carrots and squash. Bring back to a boil, then reduce the temperature to medium. Simmer ~15 min.
- Chop the celery and green pepper. Add to the stock pot, and continue to simmer 10 min.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add the ground beef/onion/spice mixture, and simmer 5 additional min.
- Turn off heat, and let cool prior to serving.
* If you are using a higher sodium bone broth (mine was low sodium), add less sea salt. Always season your broth according to your taste.