Let me introduce you to your new best friend - your crockpot! During the summer months, I forget how amazingly easy it is to prepare meals with my crockpot, and am reminded once again come Fall, and I always think to myself:
Crockpot, where have you been all my life?
Oh yeah, you've been collecting dust in the cabinet for the last couple of months 🙄 .
Time to rev it up with this warm, nourishing, and comforting coconut chicken curry. The prep for this recipe is lightning fast, and you can make it even faster by adding all ingredients to the crockpot, stirring to mix completely, and letting it rip for 5hr on high. However, I highly recommend taking the extra step of browning the onions with the spices, and letting it all simmer in the coconut milk before adding the mixture to the chicken and vegetables in the crockpot - it's sooooo worth it.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
Crockpot Chicken Curry
(Gluten-free, Paleo, Whole30)
Prep time: 20min
Cook time: 5hr
- 2 carrots, chopped into rounds
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, cubed
- 2 ripe organic tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp garam masala*
- 1 Tbsp curry*
- 1 Tbsp turmeric*
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1.5-2 lb organic chicken breast
* Use organic spices whenever possible.
- Peel and chop onion. Set aside.
- Peel and chop carrots, bell pepper, squash, tomatoes, and place at the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cut chicken breast into 1/2" chunks, and then add to crockpot.
- In a stir-fry pan, melt coconut oil and cook diced onion until translucent.
- Add the spices (garam masala, curry, turmeric, salt) and coconut aminos.
Stir to coat the onions and until the mixture is aromatic (1-2 min).
- Add full-fat coconut milk; stir to mix, and let simmer on medium-low for 5 min.
- Pour onion/spice/coconut milk mixture on top of chicken and vegetables; mix well to fully coat the chicken and vegetables.
- Set the crockpot to the "high" setting; cook for 4-5hr. You can also also set the crockpot to "low" and cook for 7-8hr.
- Serve over greens, cauliflower rice, or white or brown rice.
In a rush? Try these time-saving tips:
- This recipe is already easy-peasy, but you can make the prep even faster by using pre-cut organic vegetables from the grocery store.
- You can also skip the step of browning the onions with the spices and coconut milk, and simply add all of the ingredients to the crockpot. Mix well, and turn on the crockpot!