Have you ever seen hard orange tomato-looking fruits in the Fall, and wondered, "what the heck are these?"
Persimmons are SO underrated and deserve the same hype as pumpkins. They are in season late September through December, and we typically see 2 varieties in the US:
- Fuyu: squat and round shape, can be eaten while still firm
- Hachiya: acorn-shaped, best eaten when extremely ripe
Persimmons are jam-packed with health benefits. They contain:
- Catechins and anti-tumor compounds (betullinic acid). Catechins have anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic properties.
- Additional anti-oxidants: Vitamin A, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, among others.
- Vitamin C
- B Vitamins: folic acid, B6, thiamin
- Minerals: potassium, manganese, copper, and phosphorus
There are so many uses for persimmons - you can eat them by themselves, in salads, and they are wonderful in breads, puddings, and desserts. And of course how can I forget my favorite, SMOOTHIES?! I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and give these a try! Once you try one, you'll never go back 😉 .
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
INGREDIENTS + INSTRUCTIONS:
- 1 cup organic coconut milk (or almond)
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen, peeled
- 1 fuyu persimmon, peeled
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Optional: 4 ice cubes
Put all of the ingredients into a blender
and process until smooth.
If you love smoothies, grab your FREE copy of my e-book "Sensational Smoothies" below!