I have been on a mission to finalize and share my favorite pumpkin bread recipe (coming soon, promise!), and I was finally going to finish it this past weekend. I started mixing the ingredients, and had a major derp moment when I realized ... I didn't have any pumpkin.
Instead of throwing it all away, I decided to change course and make it a banana bread. With blueberries. And pumpkin pie spice.
This could be interesting.
While I love unique flavor combinations, I must admit that I didn't have much hope for it. But when I took it out of the oven, my hope returned. The consistency was perfect (I'd been having trouble with my pumpkin bread being either too pudding-like or too dry), and it smelled amazing.
And the taste? Mmmm mmmm mmmm.
Moral of the story: sometimes, your whoopsie can turn into a win. Also a great reminder that while things don't always go as planned, the Universe may just provide you with something even better in return. Like this banana bread recipe 😉 .
FUN FACT ABOUT THIS RECIPE
To Vegan-ify this recipe, I replaced eggs with flax eggs. Flax eggs are prepared by mixing ground flax seed mixed with water (ratio below).
How to make Flax Eggs
- 1 flax egg = 1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water
- Tips for best results
- Freshly grind flax seeds using a coffee or spice grinder
- If using pre-ground flax, store the bag in the freezer to prevent flax oil spoilage
- After mixing, place the flax eggs in the fridge for 15 min to fully gelatinize
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
Blueberry Banana Bread
(Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Prep/cook time: 60min
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup plantain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs
(2 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
(1/4 cup if you like less sweet)
- 3 overly ripe or frozen bananas*
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 heaping tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
*If using frozen bananas, fully thaw before mixing into ingredients. If cold, they may cause the coconut oil to solidify.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the flax eggs - whisk together flax meal and water; set in the fridge for 15 min.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a fork: flours, coconut flakes, pumpkin pie spice, sea salt, and baking soda.
- In a sauce pan, melt coconut oil. Mix in the maple syrup.
- Fold coconut oil/maple syrup mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in vanilla and flax eggs.
- Fold in bananas - be sure to mix well so that there are no chunks.
- Fold in nuts and blueberries.
- Press the batter into a 9"x5" loaf pan (I use Pyrex) - be sure to fully press down to prevent any air bubbles.
- Bake at 375°F for 43-48 min. Insert a toothpick or butter knife to check for doneness (45 min worked for me at sea level).
- Let cool completely before serving.