So I may get some flack for this, but it's been steamy hot in San Diego lately ... and despite being born and raised in Boston, I cannot handle this humidity (yep, let the frustrated east coaster groans begin...). Needless to say, cooking or using the stove is now number 143238927 on the priority list, and I've been daydreaming about having the superpower of dinner spontaneously making itself. I keep trying, but alas...
While I am a complete #saladjunkie and could eat a big bowl of rainbow veggie goodness every day, I've been in search of something new to cleanse my palate. I have two requirements: it's easy to make and it's prep doesn't make my house hotter than Hades...
Then it hit me like a ton of ... tomatoes!
G A Z P A C H O
This cold soup takes under 30 minutes to make, uses fresh, seasonal ingredients and is a delightfully refreshing option in the oppressive heat.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links; if you visit Amazon through these links and purchase the products, I'll get a small commission. Have no fear - the price is still the same for you!
OMG Heirloom Gazpacho
Prep time: 25 min
- 3.5 lb organic heirloom tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, divided
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Diced cucumber
- Diced red bell pepper
- Diced zucchini
- Diced red onion
(*I avoid raw onion and garlic, so those are omitted from this recipe - feel free to add if they're your jam, though!)
- Avocado slices
- Drizzle with your favorite Oil (Avocado, Flax, or EVOO)
- Extra cilantro or basil leaves
- Hot sauce
- Mary's Gone Crackers (I ❤ the Super Seed flavor - they are GF and AMAZING)
- Wash all of the vegetables and herbs.
- Core and roughly chop the tomatoes (no need to de-seed!) and half a red bell pepper.
- De-seed and roughly chop the jalapeño. If you ❤ spice, add a couple of seeds, or more pepper.
- Chop the cilantro, and finely slice the basil leaves. Put aside.
- To a Vitamix or your favorite blender/food processor, add 1/2 the tomatoes, the jalapeño and red bell pepper, 1 Tbsp each of red wine vinegar and olive oil, the juice of 2 limes, and 1/4 tsp sea salt. Blend on highest speed (about 45 sec) until completely smooth.
(Note: the color of your gazpacho will depend on whether you used only red heirloom tomatoes, or a mix of red, yellow, green, etc. No matter the color, it will be amazing.)
- Pour the first batch into a large bowl, and repeat the process with the remaining tomatoes and 1 Tbsp each of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
(Note: you may need to do more batches depending on the size of your blender.)
- Mix all batches of pureed soup together, and optionally add an additional 1/4 tsp salt to taste.
- Stir in 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (may add more to taste), and the cilantro and basil.
- Seal the container and refrigerate for 1-2hr, or until cool. This soup tastes best on the first day, but can be kept in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and garnish with your favorite toppings - cucumber, avocado, diced red bell pepper, crackers, or drizzle with your favorite oil. You cannot go wrong - it'll be a party in your mouth!
This recipe is as easy as it gets and is the perfect remedy for beating the summer heat! Hit me up in the comments and let me know what you think ❤.