So last week, I was on a roll with making energy bites ... this week, it's LEMON everything! I decided to fire up the crockpot one last time before it gets up to the 80s-90s here in San Diego, and I'm so glad I did.
Don't let the ingredient list scare you - it's as simple as grabbing a friend, partner, or the kids to help peel and chop, then throw ALL the ingredients into the crockpot and let 'er rip. No pre-cooking or fancy stuff, just chop and throw it all in. Six hours later, you'll have the tastiest, heartiest soup ready, and it tastes even BETTER the second and third days. Don't you love when that happens? Serve it up with fresh parsley or cilantro, and a few slices of avocado and you'll be one happy camper. Enjoy, my loves!
Lemon Chicken Soup
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 4-6hr
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1-15oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 lb chicken breast (chop into 1" chunks)
- 32 oz organic chicken bone broth
(I like the Pacific Naturals brand)
- Zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1/2 Tbsp Thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Tarragon
- Peel, wash and chop all vegetables.
- Wash and strain garbanzo beans.
- Chop chicken into 1" pieces.
- Add items from 1-3 to your crockpot.
- Zest and juice your lemon, and add to crockpot, along with bone broth, salt and spices.
- Stir up veggies, meat, and broth, and set crockpot to low and cook for 6hr. Alternatively, set crockpot to high and cook for 4hr.
- Serve with fresh parsley or cilantro (both are amazing!), and avocado slices.