You need some Muhammara in your life.
Muhammara is a Syrian roasted red pepper and walnut dip that has so much flavor it will knock your socks off. The recipe can vary depending on other regions where it is made (Turkey, Lebanon, Armenia), and it may or may not contain red pepper flakes, cumin, cayenne, chiles, and pomegranate molasses.
It is one of my favorite dips OF ALL TIME, but alas, I haven't had it for years because it traditionally has breadcrumbs in it 😫 . Of course, gluten-free Muhammara exists, but the recipes call for GF bread ... and I'm not a fan of ANY GF breads (cardboard, anyone? 😂 )
BUT, life without Muhammara is not a life worth living (dramatic, eh?), and I decided to replace the breadcrumbs with my favorite GF crackers: Super Seed Mary's Gone Crackers.
(Spoiler alert: the crackers are PERFECT👌 ).
Now, the all-star ingredient in Muhammara is ... pomegranate molasses.
Pomegranate Molasses is made by concentrating the juice of tart pomegranates into a thick syrup, and you'll find this as a key ingredient in many Middle Eastern dishes. You can find it at Whole Foods, Middle Eastern markets, or on Amazon. And don't worry, this isn't one of those ingredients that you use for one dish, and then it sits in your pantry for years. You can whisk it into salad dressings, drizzle onto roasted veggies, brush it onto meat as a glaze, or add it to other dips (I bet it would be fab in hummus).
While Muhammara is traditionally served with bread or pita, it is also perfect with crudité, Mary's Gone Crackers (or your favorite GF cracker), dolloped onto a salad, spread onto burgers or sandwiches, or eaten straight up with a spoon!
Gluten-Free Muhamarra Dip
Prep time: 15 min
- 1 (16oz) jar organic roasted red peppers
- 2 Tbsp organic sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup raw, organic walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 Super Seed Mary's Gone Crackers
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1.5 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Drain the liquid from the roasted red pepper jar, and pat the peppers dry.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender and let it rip until the dip is smooth and creamy. Feel free to add additional pomegranate molasses, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes to your taste.
- Transfer dip to a glass dish with a lid. Refrigerate > 2hr to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve with GF crackers, crudité (aka veggie sticks), or pita bread (if you're not GF).
- Store in the fridge for 5 days, max (don't worry, it will NOT last that long).